Re: [avr-chat] Crystals (was ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??)

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Crystals (was ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 07:19:42 +0100

Hi Graham,

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 10:46 -0500, Graham Davies wrote:
> I hope this helps.  I don't think most people will have to worry much about
> crystals.  I doubt that Vincent's problem was crystal selection or the wrong
> load capacitors.

That's annoying... because if my fuse bits are correct, and it's not the
crystals or capacitors, then I can't see what it could be, and therefire
have little hope to get it working :-/

> I've mentioned this before, but if you just pin-out the
> JTAG port and use a JTAG programmer you can mess with fuses to your heart's
> content because the JTAG port has its own clock and works fine when the main
> clock is screwed up.  *And* you get on-chip debug, which might help Vincent
> with some of his problems.

IIRC, the latest and shiniest release of Avrdude does support JTAG
programming ? Does it also work with a cheap/DIY cable like SPI
programming ??

As for in-system debugging, hell, that's my dream, setting breakpoints,
step by step execution, watching variables in RAM, stopping execution
when some event affects a variable in RAM, how beautiful.
But, forgive my ignorance (I only know of avrdude), are there mature and
usefully functional/featured open-source software that can do that ?
Do they have a decently user friendly interface for setting break points
and watching data/variables in RAM, and controlling and visualising code
execution ?
And can they work with a hand made/DIY cable, or do they require
expensive extra hardware ?
Do they come with decent documentation to get people started ?

Regards,

--
Vince