Re: [avr-chat] Status of GCC and ATmega2561?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Status of GCC and ATmega2561?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 23:08:50 +0200 (MET DST)

Rick Mann <address@hidden> wrote:

> What's the status on GCC support for the 256k parts? I don't need
> access to the full flash (128k is more than adequate), and I guess I
> can get by without gdb, but I need to be able to use the JTAGICE and
> avarice to program the part.

I just answered a similar question on the avrdude-dev list: adding the
respective avrdude.conf entry is probably anything else but rocket
science.

> I know there was a patch to GCC for this, but I don't know where to
> find it or how to apply it. This is kind of urgent, as we're trying
> to get ready for the competition in one week.

Björn Haase recently posted a patch for full support to the
avr-libc-dev mailing list.  It's still alpha quality, and a number of
things remain to be done.

I seem to recall someone posted a hack to avrfreaks.net a while ago
that made the toolchain work with only 128 KB of usable ROM.  But
then, can't you just use an ATmega1281 instead for the time being?
These are already fully supported (we're using them in production code
at work), they've also got 8 KB of RAM, and are otherwise fully pin
and IO compatible to the 2561.