Re: [avr-chat] Makefile for Avrdude

From: Chris Spencer
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Makefile for Avrdude
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 22:40:37 -0400

Thanks for your help.

On a side note, do you have any advice for AVR development on Linux? I'm a bit new to it, and I'm finding it fairly difficult just getting a development environment setup. The few packages I find for avr-gcc/binutils/libc are several years out of date, and often don't support the atmega48 I'm working with. It seems most of the tools out there are geared for Windows.

Chris

Dave Hylands wrote:
Hi Chris,

Sending to the list too....

I'm a bit rusty on writing makefiles, and I'm trying to write one to
compile and upload a simple blink program to an atmega48 using avrdude
and an avrisp2. However, when I run make I get the error "makefile:9:
*** target pattern contains no `%'.  Stop."
I have a feeling the problem is pretty simple, but I just can't see it.
Below is my makefile. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This one is a bit obscure. What's happening is that make wants
recipies to have tab characters at the beginning of the lines, and not
spaces. The leading spaces are ignored, so your makefile is being read
is if it looked like this:

program : $(TARGET).hex

avrdude -p $(PART) -c $(PROGRAMMER) -e flash:w:$(TARGET).hex

The colon on this line is being treated as a target/prerequisite
separator. If you put a tab character at the beginning of the line
then it will be treated as a recipie line rather then a dependency
line.