RE: [avr-chat] Makefile for Avrdude

From: Matt.VanDeWerken
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] Makefile for Avrdude
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 13:17:27 +1000

Hi Chris:

If I were in your boat, I'd track the winAVR development tools. There
are several scripts out there that will build a toolchain under linux
that is the equivalent of winAVR. I know Anton Erasmus hosts one on his
site; google for his name + winAVR and you should find it.

Alternatively, if you use Ubuntu there are packages available out of the
box (download using synaptic in the normal way - search "avr" for a list
of all the tools available). I'm sure the same is true of debian since
ubuntu is derived from the debian codebase; I'm not sure about
Redhat/Fedora or SuSE. Under Slackware you'd definitely have to roll
your own, while Gentoo has avr-libc in portage, but not avr-gcc. The
last time I tried it I had problems in that I had to manually generate
avr-gcc from sources, then emerge avr-libc. It was a while ago, though,
so things may have changed. If you do run gentoo, take a peek in
/usr/portage/dev-embedded for the tools available directly through
portage.

As for doing development under Linux, I've had good luck using kdevelop
as an IDE; use the Makefile from winAVR (or roll your own), and under
kdevelop there is an option to "import custom project" or similar (I'm
at a windows box atm so can't check).

HTH,

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken - Electronics Engineer
CSIRO E&M - Rock Mass Characterisation - 1 Technology Court - Pullenvale
- 4069
p: (07) 3327 4142 * f: (07) 3327 4455 * e: address@hidden
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
children."
-- Native American Proverb