Re: [avr-chat] TCP/IP : practical guide to implementing ? (LONG post...)

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] TCP/IP : practical guide to implementing ? (LONG post...)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:25:48 +1000

Hi Vincent,

Learning bottom-up, from code examples, is certainly the hardest and
slowest way. Coming top-down, by first examining the nature and purpose
of the major protocols, is quicker. (i.e. First learn _what_. Worry
about _how_ when you you have the map. ;-)

Some of the O'Reilly books seem prolix and vacuous, but I remember
finding their TCP/IP book a gentle introduction, covering a lot of
_what_, plus enough _how_ for experimentation at the unix command line,
providing easy experiential learning which helps to make things stick.

High productivity in the wrong direction helps an employer little, so
expertise in the problem domain is usually of more immediate benefit
than familiarity with solution domain code snippets. A high-level peek
at an existing microcontroller implementation might reveal useful
insights, but finding what resources others have needed for full or
partial implementations, would provide a valuable reality check, I
think.

As other posts have pointed out, you can pick up existing code, rather
than re-invent the wheel. Informed judgement would be my first goal,
both for immediate and long-term prospects.

Best of luck,
Erik