Re: [avr-chat] TCP/IP : practical guide to implementing ? (LONG post...)

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] TCP/IP : practical guide to implementing ? (LONG post...)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:16:12 +0930

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 01:54, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> reasonable overview of the background concepts, along with some idea
> of what a practical implementation looks like, and then they should
> be clever/responsible enough to understand that I can't possibly be
> expected to learn 5,000 pages of RFC's by heart (and I bet none of
> the engineers who implemented TCP/IP in their current products, do
> either ! ;-), but that I rather need to actually work on their
> products to train myself on the particular bits of the protocol that
> they actually need/use in their products.
>
> Thanks again guys, I know what to do now...

If it was me I'd be looking at reusing an existing implementation, eg
uIP-AVR -> http://www.laskater.com/projects/uipAVRdownload.htm

It's 3 clause BSD licensed so you can probably use it at work with
minimal problems.

I'm all for not re-inventing the wheel... Especially hideously
complicated wheels like TCP with fiddly corner cases :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum