Re: [avr-chat] AVR Studio user interface question

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR Studio user interface question
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:10:42 -0500

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 07:51:51AM -0400, Graham Davies wrote:
> David Kelly wrote (a couple of weeks ago):
>
> >... I've  having a user interface problem that is simply responding
> >contrary to muscle memory.
> >
> >Have the latest "build 528" (or something, its no where near this  machine
> >for me to check). AVR Dragon. ATmega48. I can download,  single step,
> >breakpoint, all that good stuff. But when I open a  Memory or similar
> >window it remains inactive. On top of other windows  but not the focus.
> >[two paragraphs omitted]
> >Same question for the Watch window. ...
> >What is the magic sequence to use Memory and Watch windows?
> >Is this a bug in beta software?
>
> For what it's worth at this late time, I have been unable to reproduce
> this. I used AVR Studio 4.13, build 526, on a Dell Inspiron 4150
> notebook under WinXP Home, SP2, fully updated.  Hardware was ATmega168
> (I don't have a 48) on the Dragon Rider on top of the AVR Dragon,
> updated to  AVR Studio 4.13 firmware.  Both memory and watch windows
> operated correctly.  I hope this helps.  Note that there is now a
> service pack to 4.13 on the Atmel Web site.

Is good to know someone else has been able to reproduce the problem.
Saved the project, shutdown the computer, rebooted the next morning
using the saved project, and all seems pretty much "normal". Once the
project got some "wear" on it, it seems to behave.

The way window/panels appear/disappear when entering/exiting debug mode
doesn't feel natural. The way source windows move sideways when side
panels appear/disappear doesn't seem to me to be a well thought out
feature. AVR Studio guys need to spend more time on a Macintosh to know
how a GUI should behave.

I have two different boards in my current product, two identical boards
with ATmega48 and one with a 168. I have problems with the 168 in JTAG
mode running away, "IDR event 0xff" errors. Built a cable about 11"
long. Thought to try the 12" cable bought from Graham with my ICE Cube
and the problem was immediately worse. Made a 6" cable and was problem
free the next 15 minutes or so, long enough to post on AVRFreaks.

A quick check indicated the ICE Cube did not support the 168 so I didn't
try hooking it up.

I didn't know about the service pack, am off to fetch!

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden