Re: [avr-chat] AVR on the Mac

From: Thomas Holland
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR on the Mac
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:50:26 +0100

Peter Harrison wrote:

On 28 Feb 2009, at 18:02, Thomas Holland wrote:

Hi,

the AVR Eclipse plugin (http://avr-eclipse.sourceforge.net ) also works on a Mac, so you can use the powerful Eclipse IDE for AVR development.

Disclaimer: I am the author of the AVR Eclipse Plugin.

brgds,

Thomas

I have now downloaded Eclipse and the plug-in. Excellent. Really. I have heard folk moan about the sheer weight of Eclipse but it looks good to me. The plug-in does just what I would hope - and more. I am curious to know how it knew where the AVRMacPack stuff was. Since it is platform independent - how does it find the compiler tools?
It actually executes 'find' on your system to look for the required components.

The actual details are in the user manual of the plugin under 'Concepts -> AVR Path Management' (online version: http://avr-eclipse.sourceforge.net/user%20manual/concepts/avr_path_management.html )

Anyway, I also loaded up the free Hi-Tide package from Hitech. This I now realise is just another installation of Eclipse but with a compiler that won't do optimisation. I shall be saying goodbye to that before I go to bed then.

In the past I have found the simulator in AVR Studio to be very useful but I guess I can learn to live without it. I have never had any use for on-chip debugging but that looks like it might have to change.
Yes, there is a distinct lack of a good AVR simulator on non-Windows platforms. On Windows you could still use the Simulator from AVR-Studio (just open the .elf file generated by Eclipse in AVR-Studio to use its simulator).

Actually I have started writing a new AVR simulator (in Java :-)) but it is still in a very infant state and can't do much more than run unit tests on about 70% of the AVR instruction test. As my spare time is limited I don't expect to have a workable simulator before this years end.

Thanks to Thomas Holland for his efforts with the plug-in.
You are welcome!

Pete