Re: [avr-chat] AVRs with JTAG and without centre pad?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVRs with JTAG and without centre pad?
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 00:03:39 +0100 (MET)

Pertti Kellomäki <address@hidden> wrote:

> Otherwise, I guess I need to learn to deal with the centre pad.
> I gather it is mainly a heat sink, so does placing some vias
> under the component and soldering from the other side work?

It's only present on the smallest packages available.  On those
packages, it's merely a mechanical fixture rather than a heat
sink, because the standard pads on those small packages cannot
take up too much mechanical force.

Unless you're really that space constrained so you need MLF
packages, just go ahead with a plenty of TQFP-packaged AVRs,
or even DIP monsters if you prefer. ;-)