Re: [avr-chat] AVRs with JTAG and without centre pad?

From: Pertti Kellomäki
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVRs with JTAG and without centre pad?
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:34:30 +0200

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Pertti Kellomäki <address@hidden> wrote:
Otherwise, I guess I need to learn to deal with the centre pad.
I gather it is mainly a heat sink, so does placing some vias
under the component and soldering from the other side work?

It's only present on the smallest packages available.

Ok, thanks. Seems I was confused by the pinouts in Atmel's datasheets.
For example, the ATmega32A gives a single pinout for TQFP/MLF,
with a note saying "Bottompad should be soldered to ground", which
lead me to think that there is a centre pad on both packages.
The ATmega128 datasheet is more explicit: "The Pinout figure applies
to both TQFP and MLF packages. The bottom pad under the QFN/MLF
package should be soldered to ground."

Sorry for the confusion. The last time I did anything more
serious in electronics was in the 1980's, so I am still finding
my way around SMT components.
--
Pertti