Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?

From: Rogier Wolff
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:57:49 +0200

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:10:48AM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:40:31 +0930
> >
> > "Daniel O'Connor" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Terminal mode can be useful for some things but I usually only use
> > > it to change fuses or check my code has modified EEPROM as I
> > > expect.
> >
> > Same here, but I also like to have a look at the first KB's of Flash
> > as well. I found it helpful to trouble shoot string problems, or to
> > verify padding, or to check that my approximate knowledge of C's
> > syntax did put the right address in a table of function pointers, or
> > whatever... I just find it quite nice to be able to easily have a
> > quick look at the first KB's of Flash, in a formatted way, while
> > having also access to EEPROM and fuses and everyting, all from the
> > same place. IOW... I just looove this terminal feature of avrdude
> > hence my desire for it, generally, to become as good as it can get
> > ;-)
>
> I think you'll find objdump on your resulting binary much, much
> faster :)
>
> I have the following makefile rules too (BSD make though)..
>
> CPPFLAGS+=-Wa,-adhlmsn=${<:T:S/.c/.lst/}
> LDFLAGS+=-Wl,-Map=${PROG}.map,--cref
>
> .elf.dmp:
>       ${OBJDUMP} -S ${.IMPSRC} > ${.PREFIX}.dmp
>
> This gives you a lot of information about how the compiler has decide to
> build your code.

But Vincent will reply...

but now you're dumping the image on the computer, not the hardware AVR
chip.

Right! However, with modern programmers, after testing things one or
two times, downloading things into the AVR chip is highly reliable. So
viewing the actual chip is no longer neccesary, as long as you don't
forget the download-to-the-chip command...

        Roger.

--
** address@hidden ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **