Re: [avr-gcc-list] GCC 3.0 thread

From: J Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] GCC 3.0 thread
Date: Wed Jan 10 09:06:04 2001

address@hidden (Denis Chertykov) wrote:

> Today I have readed address@hidden
> GCC 3.0 maintainer want to create a GCC 3.0 CVS thread (In two weeks).
> IE GCC 3.0 coming soon.
> GCC 3.0 will have an avr port.

I recently tried to build the 2001-01-01 snapshot of gcc, but so far
failed.  I locally fixed^H^H^H^H^Hhacked away the inconsistency
between the macro REGISTER_MOVE_COST() being defined (in the
machine-dependant headers) as taking three parameters, but being
called with only two params throughout the entire gcc/ subdirectory
(the `MODE' parameter wasn't used in the avr part anyway), and i
locally fixed the bug where __tmp_reg__ and __zero_reg__ were
incorrectly defined (function asm_file_start()) to be 0 and 1 resp.,
as opposed to be r0 and r1.

However, the resulting code was generating a movw instructions when
copiling libgcc vor architecture avr4 (ATmega?), which is unknown to
the latest official version of avr-as from binutils, and avr-as also
complained about the architecture being redefined (in an .arch
pseudo-op) since the compiler already calls avr-as with the -mmcu=
argument.  So apparently, the current snapshot of gcc is incompatible
with the latest binutils release...

Does anybody know what's the latest version of gcc that was compatible
with binutils, and that was at least fully compilable (for the AVR
target) without patching?

address@hidden         http://www.interface-systems.de/~j