[avr-gcc-list] boot loader for atmega163

From: Bryce Denney
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] boot loader for atmega163
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:59:57 -0500 (EST)

I finally got an AVR boot loader working in an ATmega163.  The code is
basically a port of the AVR109 example code to avr-gcc with a few problems
resolved.  Then I made some optimizations. :)

I'd like to share the work I've done, but am not quite sure who to send it
to.  Does anyone maintain an updated AVR109?  I have the impression that
Atmel doesn't update their application note code very regularly.  In the
meantime, I've broken up the changes by concept into a few patches.
Patches #1 and #2 are ready right now on my web site.  #3 and #4 are
working here, but I want to clean them up some more before posting them.

1. patch.port-to-gcc      (apply to avr109)
   Apply to the original avr109 code from atmel site, and it will compile
   in the avr-gcc environment.  See the readme inside the patch for gory
   details.

2. patch.version-num      (apply to avr109)
   Return software version 2.3 instead of 1.0 so that programmer software
   knows it can use autoincrement feature.  Also return 1.0 for hardware
   version instead of undefined.

3. patch.mword-write      (apply to avr109)
   Add programming command for multiword writes, up to 32 sequential
   16-bit words in a burst.  Of course your programmer software has to
   support it, so I added code to uisp to buffer up consecutive writes so
   that 32 words can be written in one command (see #4).  My application
   uses a 2400 baud IR link, and this gave me a 10x improvement in code
   upload speed.

4. patch.uisp-mword-write    (apply to uisp sources)
   Adds support for multiword writes to uisp. Requires #3.

My latest patches can be found at http://tlw.com/bryce/robot/avr

Comments or suggestions welcome.  If you know of similar projects, please
let me know.

Regards,
Bryce