Re: [avr-gcc-list] boot loader for atmega163

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] boot loader for atmega163
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:01:46 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

> 19200   88.3 sec    86.3 sec       8.0 sec    10.8x

Nice speedup, will be good especially for programming ATmega128 :)

> I tried to add multiword write to the AVR910 code, but eventually realized
> that it just can't keep up with a stream of serial data because it does
> the UART and SPI code in software with no interrupts.  So I gave up on
> that.

Look at "pavr" code included with uisp - basically a rewrite of AVR910
code in C for a 2313, using its hardware UART.  Could be optimized even
further (even with the normal non-multiword-write protocol) by doing
more things in parallel (send response immediately, start a timer, and
receive the next command but delay execution until the timer expires).
Also, the programmer hardware is very nice (thanks to Jason Kyle).

> In conclusion, I hope that my work makes boot loaders more accessible to
> AVR users, and avr-gcc users in particular.  I would like to get the
> avr-gcc port of avr109 moved to some AVR site where people will be able to

I'd suggest writing your own code from scratch, not porting Atmel's code
as that might cause license problems, better stay away from that...

> find it, instead of in a dark corner of the web (on my server), but I just
> don't know where to ask.  I've submitted the app note patches to Atmel,
> and the uisp patches to Marek Michalkiewicz.  But the port to avr-gcc....?

I'll look at the multiword patche when I get some time.  In the
meantime, your first patch is in uisp-20020303 - thanks! Boot loader
(written from scratch, not ported from Atmel) could be included with
uisp as I did with "pavr".  Or maybe the two (pavr and boot loader)
could share some common code (communication protocol)?

Thanks,
Marek