Re:[avr-gcc-list] Choose where the code is placed in flash memory

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re:[avr-gcc-list] Choose where the code is placed in flash memory
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:08:30 -0700

On 5 Dec 2002 at 12:03, address@hidden wrote:

> Okay, I'll concede that for bootloaders, flash upgrades and jump
> tables it 'may' be required to tie to specific addresses. But
> shouldn't we still use labels and compiler functionally to simplify
> maintenance?
>
> One legacy project I was hired to add features to had an org xxxx
> statement at the beginning of every function. And depending on weather
> the original programmer thought it was a big routine or a little
> routine it would start on an even page boundary or a multiple page
> boundary. What a nightmare!

That's what you get for programming in assembly. Whenever I can, I
try to convert from assembly to C. It *always* makes maintenance so
much easier.

There is no argument that I can think of that states that placing
routines on a boundary gets you some advantage that is worth the
hassle of maintaining it later on.

Eric