Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVaRICE and gdb windows port

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVaRICE and gdb windows port
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:17:42 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, David Brown wrote:

:) Does anyone know if there are plans to port AVaRICE to windows?  I would
:) imagine it would be a fairly simple matter, at least under cygwin.  avr-gdb
:) is probably already working under windows (I haven't tried it yet, since I
:) could not get avarice to compile), given that there are lots of other gdb's
:) running under windows.  I would like to use gdb as an alternative to AVR
:) Studio, since it provides more flexible debugging (watching things like
:) structures work properly, and has powerful scripting) and would be
:) consistent with my tools for other micros (msp430, 68332).  But at the
:) moment it looks like I would have to run avarice on a linux machine and
:) connect to it over the network - it would probably work, but it's hardly
:) convenient.
:)
:) The latest version of avarice I found on the net is around a year old - does
:) this mean it is so complete that there is no need for it, or that
:) development has stalled for lack of interest or lack of resources?

The original developer of avarice seems to have disappeared. There is
a fork of the project here:

  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/nescc/nesc/gdb/avarice/

It would be nice to get the original site updated with the newer
code...

Ted Roth