Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging on Windows; coff problems

From: Wallace White
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging on Windows; coff problems
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:22:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- "E. Weddington" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Never tried it but there's this:
> GVD <http://libre.act-europe.fr/gvd/>
> It's supposed to work with any command-line GDB and they have Windows
>
> executables for NT/2K to download, all for free.

Looks like gvd will work fine--thanks! It does expect gdb to be named
simply gdb, so I renamed avr-gdb to gdb and it started right up.

I do have a couple of questions on getting avarice and gdb running,
though; hope this is an okay place to ask a few beginner's questions:

(1) Which file do you feed to avarice? It didn't care for the .hex so I
gave it the .obj and it seemed happy.

(2) docs\avarice\running.txt talks about several different patches for
avr-gdb. Is there a recommended patch to start with (if one is needed
just to get started)? I started everything without a patch but the
micro isn't showing any external signs of life once I tell gdb to
"continue."

Thanks,
Wallace