Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging on Windows; coff problems

From: Wallace White
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging on Windows; coff problems
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:01:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Theodore A. Roth" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Wallace White wrote:
>
> :) (1) Which file do you feed to avarice? It didn't care for the .hex
> so I
> :) gave it the .obj and it seemed happy.
>
> You need to use a .bin file (raw binary image). You can generate it
> with avr-objcopy from the elf file.

There we go... thanks.

> :) (2) docs\avarice\running.txt talks about several different patches
> for
> :) avr-gdb. Is there a recommended patch to start with (if one is
> needed
> :) just to get started)? I started everything without a patch but the
> :) micro isn't showing any external signs of life once I tell gdb to
> :) "continue."
>
> No patches are needed if you are using gdb-5.2.1 or newer.

Great. Thanks also for the comments about loading files through gdb
etc.

Now I'm up and running. Thanks to all for the help and the tools.

Stepping through the program takes quite a while, sometimes several
seconds per step. Is this normal? It was much quicker with the ICE200
and AVR Studio.

Thanks,
Wallace