Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging on Windows; coff problems

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging on Windows; coff problems
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:02:01 -0600

On 24 Apr 2003 at 16:40, TODD BATZLER wrote:

> The TI mps430 gcc port is using Insight as the "front end" of their
> debugger and someone's built it there for  Windows OS's.  Maybe
> there's some information in that project in applying the same front
> end to the avr port?

IIRC, I looked into doing this briefly. I had some build issues, but
I can take a look at what the msp430 gcc folks do.

It adds significantly to the size of the package; there's more DLLs
to add and the size of these DLLs are big as well.

I didn't add it initially. The March release of WinAVR was the first
release that added GDB and AVaRICE. It was unknown how the user
community would take to these tools. That, and they were "last-
minute" additions thanks to Marc Wetzel who kindly took the time to
build them up for the Windows platform.

There's a whole host of issues surrounding the open source debugging
/ simulating problem for the Windows platform. There's various work
in trying to get one or more viable solutions out to the community.
One solution is in the alpha stage right now. Any help is
appreciated.

Eric