Re: [avr-gcc-list] Homebrew ICE?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Homebrew ICE?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:33:08 +0200 (MET DST)

As "Derick Schoonbee" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Great, thanks.. so I have the following issues/questions:
>FreeICE:
>a) Wouldn't the FreeICE firmware do (gdb-serializer) or am I missing the
>point?

I didn't follow that project too closely.  I think, right now they're
still at the level of reverse-engineering.  IMHO, it would make most
sense to provide a plug-compatible firmware with the Atmel ICE, at
least as one option.

>- So, I would also be interested in getting this into Eagle: I would like to
>route for a singlesided photoresist board(s) for home etching..so a schema
>would also help ;)

A single sided board?  Hmm, doesn't sound feasible to me.  Unless
you're going to use DIL packages for everything, but that's too
wasteful to me.  I'm basically settled for about the board layout
you've seen in the pictures (currently 85 x 42 mm²).  Btw., this is
completely homemade.  Some 40 vias might sound much at first, but if
you compare this to the single DIL40 alternative of the ATmega16, it
ain't so much at all...

I guess once the layout is settled, someone might pick up the idea,
and maybe order an entire lot of PCBs for it.  That'll certainly be
not me though.

I can perhaps provide a netlist in addition to the schematics, if someone
really wants to re-engineer the board layout for single-side.

>- I'll be quite happy with a 78L05..I'm not interested in something too
>complicated/fancy, I'm just learning AVRs and Electronics...so be gentle..

Yes, i thought so.  A switchmode regulator would conserve some engery,
but then, the JTAG box doesn't draw that much current either.  It's always
possible to also use the target's power supply directly (at least if the
target is running @ Vcc=5V).