RE: [avr-gcc-list] Next version of winavr!!!

From: Dave Hansen
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Next version of winavr!!!
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:24:22 -0400

From: "Brian Cuthie" <address@hidden>

Well, clearly you haven't used a good IDE, or you didn't know how to use

I've used *lots* of IDEs, mostly for 8-, 16-, and 32-bit embedded development. But you're right. I've never used a *good* one. ;-) Mostly they consist of a mediocre editor, an infexible (but easy to use) automated builder, a lousy simulator, and a buggy symbolic debugger. Occasionally, there's a less-than-friendly chip programmer interface.

it. Lots of production code is developed using IDEs. Nearly every
application for every desktop platform (we're talking the 99% of the
market held by MS/Apple, not the Linux/Unix world) is developed in an
IDE. Most commercial desktop applications are orders of magnitude more
complex than any of the embedded stuff that gets done.

I could make a snide comment about how much those IDEs have contributed to the quality of the software produced. But if I did, it would be mostly untrue. I well aware of the complexities of desktop application development. And that's not really my complaint about them anyway.

Neither is application complexity a problem that is solved by IDEs.

An IDE does offer an additional level of abstraction, and many people

I don't see any additional abstraction.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

are understandably reluctant to begin using a new one (me included,
sometimes). But more often than not, learning the new tool pays off in
spades.

But how does learning a different editor help me build better software?

Which is really my point. I have a "DE", just one that's not "I" (an NDE, or perhaps a DETNI? ;-). CodeWright is a very powerful editor, and I know it well enough that I don't have to think about it. I can concentrate on my code. PC-lint takes care of static analysis. Make lets me build anything I want any way I want. And they all work the same for every chip and every compiler I use.

Learning to use powerful tools well is what pays off in spades.

Regards,
  -=Dave

Get MSN 8 and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus