RE: [avr-gcc-list] Next version of winavr!!!

From: E. Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Next version of winavr!!!
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:54:50 GMT

> This is my original post!!!

[Thanks for resending, got it now!]

> Is always a good news of a new WINAVR is in the making
process!!!

> Just some suggestion, for the next version:
>

> Fix the Path problem.  (I think there is about 20 message
regarding to
> this, finally I am not alone!!!) J

Working on it.

> Instead of using avrdude to upload the hex, why not just
write a simple
> gui or some other interface that’s use the ST500.EXE come
with the AVR
> Studio 4???

One of the goals of WinAVR is to be a "one stop shop" for
an AVR Toolset for Windows. If there was only a front-end
written for the STK500.EXE that comes with AVR Studio, then
that implies that the user would have to get WinAVR AND AVR
Studio. I want to (eventually) have *no* prerequisites for
using WinAVR; everything included.

Now, I understand that this may not be everybody's taste.
Obviously there are people that have their own editor / IDE
and want to use that. That's fine; it's a religious issue.
But I do want to provide a set that's usable "out of the
box" if one had to. And hopefully make that usability as
good as possible, and open source.

> A GUI or text based makefile generator (I am writing one
for myself, if
> it is finish I will send to the mailing list)

[Talked about in other posts.]

> I not sure whether this is possible or not, but having
all the avrlibc
> file together in a folder, and alow user to just download
the package of
> the linux, and uncompress in the folder???

I'm not sure what you mean here.

> I am also trying to port all the avr aseemble example
file in the studio
> 4 into avrgcc c code, if anyone is doing the same or want
to join me,
> please send a email to me, and I might setup a egroup for
this
> project!!!

That would be great! I'm officially pulling examples from
the avr-libc project only, because examples should be for
all platforms, not just for the Windows platform. So I
highly encourage any example projects to be submitted to
avr-libc and included in that project.

> Keep up the good work, guys!!!
>

> Steve
>

> Also I have post this question:
>
> Guys, I forgot to ask one more question.  I use to use
avredit by one of
> the Korean avr user, it generate a file (I think the
extension is .cof)
> which can be open in avr studio 4, and run the simulation
with the c
> code display instead loading the hex file!!!  Does anyone
know how to
> generate this file in winavr???

Get the AVR COFF package that's on the WinAVR SourceForge
site. This add-on package provides a new tool to convert
ELF to COFF files. It's currently in Beta, but it will be
rolled into the next WinAVR release.

Eric