Re: [avr-gcc-list] clock skew detected

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] clock skew detected
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:05:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Erik Christiansen wrote:

:)On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:01:40AM +1000, Jack Valmadre wrote:
:)> I've just switched from using AVRStudio with AVRGCC 2.3 to using
:)> Programmers Notepad with WinAVR. When I compile the project,
:)> everything works fine except at the end I get a line saying: make: ***
:)> Warning: Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete. Is this a
:)> problem? How can I fix it?
:)
:)   Clock skew can be detected on networked development machines, if
:)sharing build files between hosts, and the (time & date) clocks are not
:)synchronised. When the compiling host lags the fileserver, the generated
:)files are "older" than their inputs, which is a logical impossibility.
:)This makes make's decision making problematical, hence the warning.
:)
:)   When this last happened here, a few years back, I synchronised date &
:)time, effecting an immediate cure.
:)
:)   It is not easy to imagine a way for this to happen on a single host,
:)without something being seriously broken. (Perhaps my lack of experience
:)with anything but various unices limits my imagination, though. :-)

I've seen this on a single system. Usually when you manually change the
system clock pushing the time into the past. Simply touching all the files
gets make working again.

Ted Roth