[avr-gcc-list] My first time with AVR (help)

From: Helix
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] My first time with AVR (help)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:16:23 +0100

Hello,
I just finished to build my board using an AT90S8515
I connected my XILINX parallel cable this way (I found into uisp docs)
TDI-MOSI
TDO-MISO
TCK-SCK
TMS-RESET
VCC
GND

I need to understand two things:
1. If the 8515 is alive and the xilinx cable is properly connected.
to do that I've done
# uisp -sprog=xil -dpart=AT90S8515
and I get back
Atmel AVR AT90S8515 is found
Unfortunately this string appers also if I have the board turned off :-(
However, let's suppose it's up and running :-)

2. Turn an output connected to a LED (PD0) ON and OFF to see if everithing
is ok.
Now I need to create a very minimal program that turn high a bit ( for
example PD0 )
I don't know where to start.
Is it better to create a little asm or C program ?
I'd like to use avr-gcc or avr-as
Could someone (very kindly) send me a sample code and the command lie to
compile it ?

P.S.
I tried to build this example
but i get this error
address@hidden avr-as minimal.asm
minimal.asm: Assembler messages:
minimal.asm:7: Error: constant value required

.include "/usr/local/avr-linux/avr/include/avr/io8515.h"
 ldi r16, 0 ; load register 16 with zero
 for_loop: ; this is a label we can jump or branch to
 inc r16  ; increment register 16
 out PORTD, r16 ; write contents of r16 to PortD

TIA very much

 cpi r16, 10 ; compare value in r16 with 10 (this leaves a status for breq)
 brlo for_loop  ; if value 10 not reached, repeat loop