Re: [avr-gcc-list] My first time with AVR (help)

From: Rod Moffitt
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] My first time with AVR (help)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:22:53 -0500 (EST)

The Xilinx parallel cable does not provide power, is sinks power from the
target board (without power it won't work at all). The schematics are
available on the Xilinx web-site that show this (see 'Figure B-1 Parallel
Download Cable' of the 'JTAG Programmer Guide Introduction Hardware').

If the board is indeed off then I have no idea how uisp could talk to it.
Perhaps it's a bug in uisp that automagically claims communication is up,
yet only for certain devices?

Helix, from your other post it appears you have very little AVR design
experience. Before attempting to hack together (what will be a very
simple program, indeed) you really need to read over the following
docs:

'A GNU Development Environment for the AVR Microcontroller'
'AVR libc Reference Manual'

(you can find these at my site: http://rod.info/avr.html)

The first doc gives detailed examples on how to start building a simple
program that can drive GPIOs, and should answer all of your questions.

Good luck,

- Rod

--