Re: [avr-gcc-list] 32 Kb Sram trouble

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] 32 Kb Sram trouble
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:08:35 -0700

On 27 Jan 2004 at 17:37, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> "Kasper" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > At this url i tried to get help at avrfreak, but they send me
> > here... but for more info try this url :
> > http://www.avrfreaks.com/phorum/read.php?f=2&i=13730&t=13730#13730
>
> In short, I sent you here in order to get some help how to compiler
> avr-libc yourself (on Windows) so you've got debugging symbols, and
> could run your debugger through the source of malloc(). ;-)
>
> Eric, perhaps you've got some tips about what to care for when
> manually compiling avr-libc from sources on Windows...

Hm?
Ok, after glancing through the avrfreaks thread....

1. Do NOT use WinZIP to unpack the tarballs.
2. I have built using MinGW / MSYS in the past. In theory Cygwin should work.
3. Use the instructions found in the avr-libc docs, even though they mostly
pertain to Unix / Linux, they are also used on Cygwin.
4. When you configure, you will want to use the --disable-doc option (along
with the typical --prefix option.
5. Note that when avr-libc is built, all the object files and libraries are not
stripped; they still have debug info in them.
6. Also, all avr-libc header files and source code files in the examples will
have UNIX line endings. You can use the utility todos.exe (comes with WinAVR)
to change the line endings to Windows. The Programmers Notepad editor can view
files with UNIX line endings just fine. Other editors may not be able to do so.