Re: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR Avrdude 'hanging'

From: Jim Ford
Subject: Re: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR Avrdude 'hanging'
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:20:01 +0100 (CET)

Message date : Feb 17 2004, 05:57 PM
>From : "E. Weddington"
To : address@hidden, address@hidden
Copy to :
Subject : Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR Avrdude 'hanging'
On 17 Feb 2004 at 18:43, Jim Ford wrote:

>> Hi.
>>
>>'m using WinAVR on a Windows 2000 machine. When I try to program the device
>> from Programmers Notepad, Avrdude gets invoked but frequently hangs at some
>> point. I then have to manually kill the process in order to try again. This
>> can
>> happen up to 4 or more times before the programming succeeds. As the 'hang'
>> often occurs after the chip is erased, this means it is reducing the life of
>> the
>> chip.
>>
>>Ideas, anyone - please?

>There has been some very good work by Martin Thomas on a Win32 API version of
>avrdude (as opposed to linking with Cygwin, which that is what WinAVR has).
>
>We're trying to get as much feedback as possible on this new code. It's
>already
>fixed some other users' problems. The source, and a binary, can be found here:
>
>Please give it a try, and let the list know how it works out.
>
>It looks like this will be rolled into the avrdude project for future releases.

avrdude32_20040210 from the above link looks like it's cured the problem -
thanks!

BTW, I still get "please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file
for part at90S2313" from Avrdude. I've looked at the conf file, but I'm not
sure what this complaint means or if it's important.

Regards: Jim Ford
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime