RE: [avr-gcc-list] WinCVS and WinAVR Conflict

From: E. Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] WinCVS and WinAVR Conflict
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:44:05 -0600

On 16 Apr 2004 at 14:09, Dave Hylands wrote:

> As a general rule, you definitely do NOT want two different versions of
> cygwin1.dll being used.
>
> The 1.3 and 1.5 versions of cygwin stuff is incompatible with each
> other, so you'll have a problem there.
>
> If both WinCVS and WinAVR use 1.3 versions of the cygwin1.dll then you

FYI, WinAVR 20040404 uses 1.5.9. That info should be in the README (in case
anyone looks there).

> The problem with the cygwin1.dll's is that they use a shared memory
> region to share information. Unforntunately, this shared memory region
> has the same name regardless of the version of cygwin1.ll being used,
> and the two DLL's trample the shared memory region when they're loaded
> into memory at the same time.

Interesting. I never knew the exact issue involved.

> It is possible to get 1.3 and 1.5 versions of cygwin to coexist, but it
> requires patching the dll to change the name of the shared memory
> region. There are also a couple of restrictions associated with doing
> this, but I've been able to successfully use the technique and have
> three different versions of cygwin1.dll being used in our build
> environment (some of the compilers we use come with cygwin1.dll, and
> most of our developers use the bash shell from cygwin as their normal
> shell).

1. Have you ever mentioned this on the Cygwin list? Also, did they ever give
any reason why they designed it this way and not use different names for the
shared memory for different versions of the DLL?

2. Curious: Which compilers / targets are you using?