Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinCVS and WinAVR Conflict

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinCVS and WinAVR Conflict
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:08:46 -0600

On 17 Apr 2004 at 1:13, address@hidden wrote:

> > Any volunteers to help port projects would be incredibly welcome. The
> > projects
> > that need native Win32 executables are: 1. SimulAVR 2. AVaRICE 3. GDB /
> > Insight 4. SRecord 5. uisp 6. Tcl / Tk / Wish
>
> The last one exists I hope? There is quite Win32 native Tcl / Tk /
> Wish

It gets more complicated... *sigh*. I'm aware that there are native Win32 Tcl /
Tk / Wish. The ones that are built and shipped with WinAVR are due to Insight
being built. Insight, coming from RedHat, is built using... you guessed it,
Cygwin. The Insight program uses Tcl / Tk for it's UI, but when it builds those
DLLs, it links them to the Cygwin DLL. Wish is linked to the same Cygwin Tcl /
Tk DLLs. The biggest problem in that list above is trying to develop a patch
for (now) 6.1 GDB / Insight / Tcl / Tk / Wish. =:-o

> (thought the simplest way to install it is to get the huge
> ActiveTcl distribution).

Which has licensing issues IIRC.

> However in my quite naive view it would be much more desirable to fix
> Cygwin (read: bother Cygwin team with these issues until Cygwin is
> usable or until it is proven non-fixable and the above items are the
> right ones on to-do list).

I have my doubts on this happening.

> The current Cygwin dll situation looks like quite serious failure of
> very useful Cygwin idea.

Feel free to bring it up on their list.