Re: [avr-gcc-list] SimulAVR - Interrupts and display copro

From: Pat Deegan
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] SimulAVR - Interrupts and display copro
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:22 -0400

Hello Klaus,

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 05:05, Klaus Rudolph wrote:
> I have a rewritten version of simulavr which also simulates interrupts
> and could
> connect pins to external logic like other uart or manual switches or
> something else.
> Also multiple avr cores are connectable.

That's cool :)

> The pin to pin connection could also be done over an unix socket, so it
> is easy to
> connect any other program there like a tcl shell with a simple gui for
> switches and
> lcd display and other things.

That sounds a lot like what I was thinking of doing.

My plan so far had been to create some method (probably unix sockets) of
connecting the simulator to external processes and providing the means
to encapsulate the functionality in a library to be used to create
simulated external hardware (I'm currently looking to simulate an
AT29C256, which is a flash prom chip).  In my ideal world, we'd have it
so we could re-use existing code by pluging into circuit/device
simulators but I don't have a clue how much work this would involve.

Have you determined the IPC protocol?  Is it based some standard, is it
similar to messages sent by simulavr to the display coprocess?

It seems like you've done most of the work I need on simulavr.  If you
could send me your patch and some details on the work you've done and
what still needs to be accomplished, I may be able to help out (I'll be
available starting on the 25th).

Thanks
--
Pat Deegan