Re: [avr-gcc-list] preferred way to specify memory size?

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] preferred way to specify memory size?
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:10:49 +1000

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:52:50AM -0700, Galen Seitz wrote:

> Is there a preferred way to specify the size of each type of memory?  I
> would like catch any overruns of the various sections.  I'm using
> a mega48.  Do I need to use a custom linker script?  If so, should I
> start with the avr4.x file?

Galen,

A (semi) custom linker script is the simplest and most direct way, that
I know of, to manage memory in the way you need. Not finding a specific
mega16 script in /usr/local/avr/avr/lib/ldscripts/, I tweaked one of the
avr4 choices. For each avr architecture there's one for normal
executables, and a bunch of variants. I'm happily using a script based
on the former. It's worth reading the first line of each before
choosing.

HTH,
Erik