Re: [avr-gcc-list] Anyone interface an AVR with a CAN bus?

From: Alan Kilian
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Anyone interface an AVR with a CAN bus?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:06:29 -0500 (CDT)

  Folks,

    I have been listening to my MINI Cooper's CAN bus for a week
    or so, and I can read many interesting things. (Is this still
    AVR-GCC?)

    I put a pair of graphs showing the individual wheel-speeds
    while I took a drive, and did some turns.

    It sure is fun reading this kind of thing from a car. I'm amazed
    that they send a CAN message to turn on the light on the tachometer
    telling you your blinker is on. Then they send another message to
    turn the light off, on, off, on, off.

    Note that this is reading directly off the CAN bus, bit using the
    OBD-II connector. Use an ELM-ISO scantool from scantool.net for that.
    (USD$80 + free software)

    <http://www.bobodyne.com/web-docs/Images/full.jpg>
    <http://www.bobodyne.com/web-docs/Images/turns.jpg>

    I also bought j1979_200204.pdf from the SAE to get the OBD-II
    non-CAN protocol.

    I will also be working on a CAN/AVR/AVR-GCC combination, but not
    as a generic scan tool, just to get a true coolant-temperature
    display for the MINI Cooper owners with the GPS Navigation screen
    which takes away even the placebo-gauge that other MINI vehicles have.

                             -Alan

--
- Alan Kilian <alank(at)timelogic.com>
Director of Bioinformatics, TimeLogic Corporation 763-449-7622