Re: [avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:23:37 +0100

As David Kelly wrote:

> And "Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!" for the FreeBSD port!

You're welcome.

> With it I find the most useful XP application I have is PuTTY.exe.

:-))

> Was curious as to what was broken about avr-libc under 5.3 so I
> removed the BROKEN line from /usr/ports/devel/avr-libc/Makefile and
> it built anyway.

It's been netpbm that was broken, which is in turn needed by the docs
build process to convert some PNGs into transparent PNGs.  With the
recent compiler upgrade, some versions of netpbm dumped core for that.

> And sucked in a zillion other things I don't really need. Don't

That's all part of the docs.  It's an unfortunate side-effect of the
usage of the doxygen tool.  OTOH, see the good side of the coin:
doxygen frees us of some boring work, and really helped a lot to allow
for maintaining documentation that is up-to-date with the respective
source code (due to being embedded into the source).  So for the price
of requiring a number of tools (which could be of some use in your
daily work as well ;-), what you get is documentation for all of it --
at all.  Before Ted Roth started the doxygenization, there was only
some 3rd-party documentation around by people who spent a lot of
effort into always hunting behind the state of affairs, and who often
had to guess about what they were documenting.  This has changed
dramatically since -- to the better, I hope.

Btw., you can always build the port with -DNOPORTDOCS, with only the
essential prerequisites (avr-gcc, avr-binutils, gmake).

[As I don't have Windows, I cannot contribute anything to your AVR
Studio stories.]