Re: [avr-gcc-list] work in linux

From: Ned Konz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] work in linux
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:30:36 -0800

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 4:24 pm, David Kelly wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2005, at 2:02 AM, lgpavrgcc wrote:
> > Hello every body!
> > I want to complies my c code in linux. But I don't know where can I
> > download gcc for avr and binutils for avr. Can you give me a address?
>
> In FreeBSD all one has to do (as root) is type this line and sit back
> to watch the show. Whatever is missing will be downloaded (its smart
> enough to know more than one place to find the files), patched (if
> necessary), configured, compiled, then installed in a sane location and
> configuration. Thanks to Joerg Wunsch for avr-binutils, avr-gcc,
> avr-gdb, and avr-libc/.
>
> # portinstall avr-libc
>
> The avr-libc port requires avr-gcc so the above will also install
> avr-gcc as a dependancy.
>
> If one doesn't have the "portupgrade" port installed then one doesn't
> have "portinstall". "cd /usr/ports/devel/avr-libc; make install && make
> clean" is practically the same as "portinstall avr-libc".
>
> If Linux lacks an "RPM" or equivalent of "FreeBSD port" for the AVR
> tools then somebody ought to do something about it.

And in Debian (which has more fine-grained packages, apparently) you'd do

 apt-get install gcc-avr avr-libc avr-gdb avrdude

gcc-avr has binutils-avr as a prerequisite.

there's also simulavr avra avrp etc.:
(not showing "virtual" packages):

$ aptitude search avr
i   avr-gdb                              - The GNU source-level debugger for C,
C++ for A
i   avr-libc                             - Standard C library for Atmel AVR
development
i   avr-libc-docs                        - Documentation for avr-libc.
i   avra                                 - Assembler for Atmel AVR
microcontrollers
i   avrdude                              - Programmer for Atmel AVR
microcontrollers
i   avrp                                 - Programmer for Atmel AVR
microcontrollers
i   avrprog                              - Programmer for Atmel AVR
microcontrollers
i   binutils-avr                         - Binary utilities that support
Atmel's AVR targ
i   gcc-avr                              - The GNU C compiler (cross compiler
for avr)
i   simulavr                             - Atmel AVR simulator

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com