Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging a bootloader with JTAGICE mkII

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging a bootloader with JTAGICE mkII
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:13:12 +0200 (MET DST)

Wallace White <address@hidden> wrote:

> What setup are folks using to debug bootloaders, specifically with
> the JTAGICE mkII? Or are they?

Debug it as a standalone application (i.e. use a relocated .text
instead of .bootloader section).

Alas, on the ATmega128, you'll run into the additional problem that
GCC doesn't emit the correct DWARF information above 64 KB (has been
discussed here).  Maybe COFF works better in that case, I don't know.

> I would try gdb and avarice, but I read in the WinAVR manual that
> avarice doesn't yet support the JTAGICE mkII.

That will for sure happen, perhaps even very soon. <grin>