Re: [avr-gcc-list] Embedded C programming and the Atmel AVR

From: Kitts
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Embedded C programming and the Atmel AVR
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:05:36 +0530

On Tuesday 26 Apr 2005 11:12 pm IST, Tim wrote:
> I am new to AVR programming. I bought the book "Embedded C
> programming and the Atmel AVR". Can the C language taught in that
> book be used with GCC or are there any differences one needs to be
> aware of?

I started my embedded programming with this book. While i do recommend
it for a start, many macros, compiler instructions etc are different. I
currently do not recollect the reasons for my struggle shifting from
CodeVision to ImageCraft and now to GCC, but it was not easy. And do
not get too used to the application builder and the built in functions
that are not part of the standard C library. For one,  I remember
having problem with LCD displays as CodeVision included convenient to
use, LCD routines while the others did not.

I do recommend this book if you are new to AVR and C programming in
general but suggest that you quickly move on to GCC (If it is what you
want to use :-)) by reading the GCC manual and the AVR-libc manual as
suggested.

Welcome to the world of the AVR!
--
Cheers!