Re: [avr-gcc-list] Embedded C programming and the Atmel AVR

From: Geoffrey Wossum
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Embedded C programming and the Atmel AVR
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:56:52 -0500

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 06:51 -0600, E. Weddington wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
> >Do you know of an easy way of knowing differences between CodeVision and GCC
> >so that I may still use this book? Do you know of any good books that focus
> >on GCC C, since this is the compiler I want to use?
> >

> There is no easy way of knowing the difference between the two
> compilers, other than reading their user manuals.

There's a much easier way than that.  Type the code in and see what
happens.  My manager uses IAR and I use avr-gcc.  Most of the
differences that I see between those two compilers result in compile
time errors, which is a good sign that "Hey, I've found a difference!"
A glance over the avr-libc FAQ or a quick Google will then hopefully
tell you how to translate the code.  If not, there's always the list.

On a related note, it might be useful to have a "(Codevision|IAR)
Programmer's Guide to avr-gcc" or a "(Codevision|IAR) to avr-gcc Porting
Guide".  I don't think such documents exist, do they?

---
Geoffrey Wossum
Long Range Systems - http://www.pager.net