Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:38:30 -0400

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> I have been advised to use CVS ...
> ... suggested to ... use SVN ...
> ... what do everyone use at work ?
> ... what would my boss be most
> likely to ask me to use ...

There are an awful lot more options than these two.  You really need to take
into consideration the project size, team size, development platform, team
geographical spread, branch/merge procedures required, whether there is an
administrator available, the level of automation needed, integration with
other software development tools such as trouble tickets and a whole lot
more.

Many companies will want you to know Clearcase.  This is the Microsoft of
configuration management, with all that suggests.  Commercially, I have also
used RCS, CVS and SourceSafe (which sucks).  Recently, I did a study on this
subject and came up with MKS Source Integrity as the best high-end system.
At home, I use QVCS, which is shareware and costs about $20.00, but I'm
thinking of spending a little more to get better branch management.

Also, it is my considered opinion that the tool you choose is less important
than the procedures you devise and implement.  Just putting the
configuration management tool in place won't solve all the problems, even if
everyone uses it.  You need to put a lot of thought into how you want to do
software configuration management, write it up, deploy it, work out the
wrinkles and consistently enforce it.

For example, when you make a release, does new work on the next release go
on the main line or a branch?  I worked for a company where people branched
new work and maintained the release on the main line.  This caused no end of
problems and after many years they had to change over.  This is just one
example of things you should figure out ahead of time that are not part of
the tool itself.

Graham.