Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:01:18 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kelly" <address@hidden>

> At work they keep talking about making me move to Microsoft
> SourceSafe. I counter with, "You want to buy another seat for me?" as
> SS isn't cheap unless they have already spent a wad on .NET
> development tools. Which would be a major waste on me as that is
> essentially useless for AVR and MC9S12NE64 work.
>
> Also SourceSafe does not work from non-Microsoft environments such as
> FreeBSD and MacOS. CVS does. Subversion does work on MacOS, but only
> recently has it been "supported" within other major tools.

MS SourceSafe is well-known to be the most unreliable version control system
in existance.  MS recommend regular (i.e., at least weekly) runs of its
database integrety check and recovery tool to deal with problems before they
get out of hand, and have a lots of suggestions on how to deal with lost
data and trashed databases.  I have also read (from several sources - while
looking for version control software myself) that MS does not use SourceSafe
anywhere internally, as it is not reliable.

http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html
http://www.wadhome.org/svn_vs_vss.txt