RE: [avr-gcc-list] use of specifin RAM location

From: Matt.VanDeWerken
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] use of specifin RAM location
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:35:05 +1000

I have the same problem, and the point is that part of my external
memory is inside an FPGA, basically under control of the FPGA (It's
high-speed ADC data), while another part is external SRAM which I use
for my heap etc.

I access the FPGA memory at the moment using pointers which I initialise
to the right value. I don't yet have a method mapped out for the SRAM -
it's on the next version of the board (the present version has no
external SRAM).

I will have a need to allocate some large-ish arrays in the external
SRAM in the next hardware version.

Memory-mapped peripherals need to be accessed at particular addresses
also, however these don't usually need allocation (and hence can be
accessed via pointers initialised to the correct address).

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken - Electronics Engineer
CSIRO E&M - Rock Mass Characterisation - 1 Technology Court - Pullenvale
- 4069
p: (07) 3327 4142 * f: (07) 3327 4455 * e: address@hidden
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
children."
-- Native American Proverb