Re: [avr-gcc-list] Missing compiler optimizations?

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Missing compiler optimizations?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:23:37 -0800

Nigel Winterbottom wrote:
What sparked my response was the fact that in your hand written code
> (pasted below) you haven't stacked "caller saves" registers around
your function call.

Oh... Yeah, in this case that's because I know a priori what the function does. So I guess as far as register saves and usage the compiler is probably doing the best it can with what it can know without tracing all the way down in the called functions.

The lack of sane code for a number of common idioms is really my main concern. As soon as I finish my current project (contract), I'll see if I can build and test CVS GCC-4.1.x and see how that does with some of the more common constructs.