Re: [avr-gcc-list] big string into the ROM

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] big string into the ROM
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:53:50 +0200 (MET DST)

drvdrv <address@hidden> wrote:

> Finally I found an other solution (if sb interested in): there is a
> small tool (http://home.hetnet.nl/~newlife-software/Binex/binex.htm)
> to convert bin to hex.

Oh, you can have that with the onboard tools from the GNU AVR
toolchain as well.

avr-objcopy -I binary -O ihex infile outfile

will also create you an ihex file from binary input.  Even better,

avr-objcopy -I binary -O elf32-avr infile.bin outfile.o

will yield you a relocatable object file (i. e. one you can use as
input to the linker), and provide it with three symbols:

_binary_infile_bin_start
_binary_infile_bin_end
_binary_infile_bin_size

So you could declare these symbols in your C file, like

extern void *_binary_infile_bin_start, _binary_infile_bin_end;
extern size_t _binary_infile_bin_size;