RE: [avr-gcc-list] AVRDude serial access problem under WinXP

From: Gavin Jackson
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] AVRDude serial access problem under WinXP
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:47:24 +1200

Hi Noah

You've said nothing about using an ISP (in-circuit programmer). This is
the typical way these devices are programmed, unless your development
boards already have a bootloader loaded. The ISP is either 6-pin or
10-pin header that uses SPI to communicate with the chip. The Atmel
ISP's connect to either a serial or USB port on a PC.

I know this does not answer the ser_open problem you have, but does
address getting the firmware into the chip.

Regards

Gavin

Noah wrote:
I was handed a school project for programming a couple of ATMega128
micro-controllers and as such I downloaded and installed the WinAVR
suite for accomplishing the task. The controllers are part of a dev
board kit that include a standard 9-pin serial plug for interfaceing /
programing with a PC.

After building a project and a makefile and running the "program" script
AVRDude punts and returns an error "ser_open():failed Access Denied" (or
something to that effect)

I am doing all of this on my home PC where I have complete adminstrative
access to all windows has to offer, so I don't fully understand why
access is denied.