[avr-gcc-list] Building avr-gcc 3.4.5 from sources for OpenMAC rebuild

From: Alex Shepherd
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Building avr-gcc 3.4.5 from sources for OpenMAC rebuild
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:49:47 +1200

Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to play with the Atmel 802.15.4 demo kit and it seems that the
Meshnetics OpenMAC library might be better or support more functionality
than the Atmel library.

However, there seems to be some build parameters in the OpenMAC library that
I may want to change like the UART baud rate and F_CPU etc. So to do this I
need to rebuild the OpenMAC library using the specified versions for the
avr-gcc tool chain.

The OpenMAC docs list the following versions:

binutils-2.16.1
gcc-3.4.5
avr-libc-1.4.3
avarice-2.6
gdb-6.3
NesC 1.1-1.2.15_lux

So to do this I've got Ubuntu Linux installed on a vmware VM on my Windows
XP notebook and I've found the docs in the avr-libc for building the tool
chain here:

http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html#install_avr_bi
nutils

and am working through these ok. However, I recall over time people talking
about needing patches etc for various bugs in the main gcc codebase relating
to the avr target.

How would I know if I need any patches and if I do where would I get them?

Cheers

Alex Shepherd