RE: [avr-gcc-list] Stack usage under heavy inlining

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Stack usage under heavy inlining
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:22:40 -0600

That's funny. I agree with Linus:
"Gcc inlining is a total and utter pile of shit."
At least it seems that way for the AVR.

GCC has so many compiler switches just for inlining, coupled with confusing
heuristics, it makes it difficult to understand what is happening with inlining.

> I can try with more recent versions, if someone suspects that this
> behavior is better in a more recent gcc, but I just wanted to
> warn other
> developers who might hit the same problem.

I don't think the behavior has changed in recent versions.

Interestingly, the lkml post mentions a switch:
-fno-default-inline

I wonder how that would work out for the AVR. Maybe that should be considered
for the AVR default specs, or at least for the WinAVR Makefile Template and the
default AVR Studio Makefile.

Eric