Re: [avr-gcc-list] Stack usage under heavy inlining

From: Tristan Gingold
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Stack usage under heavy inlining
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:55:13 +0200

That's a pity. But was this tool geared towards Ada only?

Not at all. It was working for any program compiled by GCC. This is just a new option for gcc so that it generates .su files (stack usage) containing the number of bytes allocated in the stack. For more
complex cases, it could be the maximum size.
There was also a new option to generate the call graph.

There is also "stacktool" written by Dr. John Regehr (CCed) that is for AVR programs, but mainly geared towards TinyOS/AVR based applications. When this first came out, I initially had problems getting it to work on a significantly-sized real-world program. In the end, I never got the tool to work.

John and I have had a number of conversations since then about the general problem of doing static analysis on stack usage, and it is a difficult problem to solve.

For the general case, it is difficult. For avionic application it is much easier!

Feel free to ask status about http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/ 2006-06/msg01021.html,
that can help integration!

Tristan.