RE: [avr-gcc-list] cbr and negative numbers

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] cbr and negative numbers
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:36:41 -0600

Section 6.1 of the WinAVR User Manual lists *several* open source operating
systems! The user manual (web page) itself has links.

----------------------------

6.1 Operating Systems

While an Operating System, or RTOS, isn't necessary to write software for the
AVR, there may be times when it is desirable. Below, are some links for free or
open source operating systems / kernels for the AVR. Note that this may not be
a complete list.

AvrX

    AvrX is a Real-Time Multitasking Kernel.

EtherNut - Nut/OS

    Ethernut is an Open Source Hardware and Software Project for building
Embedded Ethernet Devices. It contains Nut/OS which is an intentionally simple
RTOS for the ATmega128, which provides a minimum of services to run Nut/Net,
the TCP/IP stack.

FreeRTOS

    FreeRTOS is a portable, open source, mini Real Time Scheduler (or mini RTOS
kernel).

TinyOS

    TinyOS is a component-based runtime environment designed to provide support
for deeply embedded systems which require concurrency intensive operations
while constrained by minimal hardware resources.

Contiki

    Contiki is an Internet-enabled operating system and desktop environment for
a number of smallish systems.

XMK - eXtreme Minimal Kernel

    XMK is a preemptive multitasking scheduler/kernel for 8bit
microcontrollers. Its goal is to provide a bare bones RTOS with a small enough
footprint (RAM+ROM) to run on 8bit microcontrollers.

pico OS

    pico OS is a highly configurable and very fast real time operating system
(RTOS). It targets a wide range of architectures, from very small 8 bit
processors and microcontrollers up to very huge platforms. An AVR port is
available.

uSmartX

    uSmartX is a non-preemptive, multitasking, priority based RTOS. It features
mechanisms for inter-task communication and basic task and time control
functions.

Super Simple Tasker (SST)

    This is an implementation of a lightweight scheduler so called "Super
Simple Tasker" - SST. The idea is taken from the Robert Ward's article -
"Practical Real-Time Techniques"
http://www.quantum-leaps.com/resources/Ward03.pdf. The SST allows to
significantly reduce needs for precious RAM and ROM and still allows to keep a
real time characteristic of the scheduler (e.g. tasks prioritization and
preemption).

ChibiOS/RT

    ChibiOS/RT is a compact and fast RTOS designed for embedded applications.
It offers threads, mutexes, semaphores, messages, events, timers, flexible I/O
with timeout capability.