Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Strings: escape sequence to insert arbitrary

From: Jim Brain
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Strings: escape sequence to insert arbitrary
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:39:35 -0600

address@hidden wrote:
Interesting. I wonder why the standard deeemd it necessary to provide
an escape sequence for the question mark ?

Because there is a rather arcane way to represent characters in which
three question marks appear prominently.  I recall now that it's
called "trigraphs".

Don't look it up, no one in his right mind would take that standard
seriously.

++L

We used them extensively in the mid-1990s when we compiled C code on the MVS platform.  The TSO editor has no understanding certain characters needed for C, so trigraphs were used.  I would assume zOS C programmers still use them.

Jim