RE: [avr-gcc-list] Strings: escape sequence to insert arbitrary hexvalue

From: Michael
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Strings: escape sequence to insert arbitrary hexvalue ?
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:03:51 +1100

> Hello,

> All on-line tutorials on C just do'nt seem to cover all these
practical

> little things I need... these tutorials aren't much help for

> day to day issues with microcontroller programming I find :-/

> Problem: in the strings I define, some of the characters are custom

> defined (ASCII codes 0 to 7 in a text LCD module).

> I have some defines like such:

> #define LCD_CUSTOM_CHAR_FOO <any value from 0 to 7 and 0x80 and up>

> char example[] = "Example String";

> Now I need to insert the define "LCD_CUSTOM_CHAR_FOO" somewhere in

> the string, and have the compiler replace it with the hex code it

> stands for... how to instruct the compiler to do so ?!

> TIA

> Regards,

> --

> Vince, the devil is in the detail they say...

I'm not sure if this may be of any use to you, but I find it pretty
handy when I need to send special characters.

If you have a #define:

#define PDATA(type, ...) (__extension__({static type __nonamed[] PROGMEM
= __VA_ARGS__ ; &__nonamed[0];}))

You can specify any data you like in program memory, like PSTR() only
with data.

Eg.

PDATA(char,{0xB0,0x30,0x30,0xB2,0xA1,0x83,0x00})

I'd like to see this included in <avr/pgmspace.h>

Regards,

Michael.