Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR environment on Solaris 10

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR environment on Solaris 10
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 18:02:48 +0100

Hi Eric,

Normally binutils is built in a separate build directory, not built in its source tree.

I don't know for sure if you really need to use the --program-prefix configure switch in binutils and gcc. The build process normally does that on other hosts, but I don't know how it behaves on Solaris.

You do need to make sure that after binutils is built, that you put the installation directory (--prefix) in your PATH environment variable. Building gcc and avr-libc will need to know where the just-built AVR assembler and linker are located.

You have the gcc configure switch --enable-language=c and it should be --enable-languages=c. Note that "languages" is plural.

It would be better to build gcc version 4.3.3, instead of 4.2.3. It's a more recent version and it's being used on other hosts.

To get support for other devices, as well as a number of bug fixes, you'll need to patch your binutils and gcc source code using the patches found at the WinAVR project (SourceForge) or using the patches found in the FreeBSD Ports project. These are roughly the same patches. The WinAVR patches only patch binutils 2.19 though, not 2.20.

You will need to have the GMP and MPFR library packages on your host in order to properly build GCC. If you don't have these libraries, they are relatively easy to build.

I don't know for sure whether any of the above is a cause of your problem, but it might help out.

Thanks for all your comments. I am currently downloading gcc 4.33 and will retry with the modified options. I will let you know ...

Thanks a lot,

 Andreas